Sunday, May 17, 2009

Synod Assembly

As a Lutheran Christian, one of the events on the calendar each year is Synod Assembly. Basically, all of the pastors from the churches in southwest Washington get together, as well as a male and female member (who get voted on by the congregation each year), and we go through some workshops, vote on some resolutions that are being considered around the country, and there's usually a keynote speaker that teaches us something new.

This was my first year going, and I'd have to say that I would go again (just not for awhile, it was a LONG weekend). Our keynote speaker discussed diversity, how to embrace and understand others who differ from you (either in appearance, culture, sexuality, gender, etc), as well as how to listen to those that could be deemed the "powerless", and if you are among the "powerless" how to speak up. Eric Law (who is head of the Kaleidescope Institute in LA) was a very engaging speaker, and I learned a lot from what he had to share with us.

Brett and I were both supposed to go from our congregation, but he got ill and couldn't make it. So, it was me and Pastor Mark all weekend. We had a lot of good conversations, and I really feel like I got to know him much better. We shared our ideas for our very first praise band, and brought up songs and started roughing out some services.

On Saturday, the "controversial" resolutions were put on the table. They centered around formal statements of whether or not to be inclusive to the homosexual community, and whether or not to allow homosexual ordained ministers (who are already allowed to be pastors of our congregations) the "privilege" of being in a monogomous, same-gendered relationship while in a call.

Now, according to my pastor, these hot topics have been debated for the last 7 or 8 years. Slowly the amount of folks in favor of full inclusion has increased and those who are still unsure, or against this are losing ground.

I'm not here to push my beliefs on anyone else. I use this blog to discuss my life, daily goings on, etc.

But, one of the things I LOVE about being a Lutheran Christian is that questions are encouraged. Debate is good. We are an inclusive group.

I worried yesterday, that maybe my beliefs were too progressive for the group. I worried that I was a member of a hypocritical synod...one that wants to be inclusive and wants everyone to be equal, except the ones that are different from us.

We're all shaped from our own experiences, good and bad. I grew up in a small town, was not exposed to many people who were different from me, and had my eyes opened WIDE when I came to the "big city." It was scary, to challenge all of those things I'd been taught, to challenge my own pre-conceived notions about people. What I discovered was, once you get over that fear and decide you're going to get to know someone for who they are, rather than what color they are or who they love, you become richer and grow yourself.

So, I had to ask myself, why is this so scary? Are we afraid that a gay pastor might hurt our children, or teach that being gay is the way to be? If so, then how do we reconcile the leaders of the Catholic church, who did such damage to countless children? How do we decide who is safe and who is not?

If we're to be an inclusive group, then shouldn't that include ALL people? Are we afraid that, by sitting next to a gay couple in church, that they will "rub off" on us and "make" us gay too? If that's the case, then will my skin turn black if I shake hands with my friend? Will I become male when I kiss my husband?

Is being gay something that's genetic/that we're born with, or a choice? I believe that's where a lot of the debate centered around. I'm sure there are some out there that choose the lifestyle, but I can't imagine, FOR THE LIFE OF ME, why someone would willingly choose to be discriminated against, to not be able to share the same rights to love and marriage as heterosexuals, to be thought of by some as immoral, disgusting, dirty, or sinful.

I sat at a table with my pastor, another pastor from a prison congregation, and a small group of lay members and a pastor from a congregation in Vancouver. The members from the Vancouver church were all older, likely retired. I know the fear they feel. I've been there. It is a scary road to venture down. But, oh, the freedom and peace that is felt once you make a deliberate decision to educate yourself out of fear.

I was quite dismayed, to be honest, after all we had learned from Eric Law about being open, listening to the powerless, analyzing why we react or feel the way we do when we say or hear something, that the PASTOR from the Vancouver church said aloud to the entire table "it's all well and good what we were taught, but let's be realistic, nobody's mind is going to be changed by the debate." And all in his fold nodded their heads in agreement. At that point, I got up from the table, went to the bathroom and cried.

I cried not because I disagreed with them. I cried because without open dialog, without at least WILLINGNESS to hear the other side, this chuch I love, this community I love was going to go down in flames.

Upon my return, the heated debate had begun. And again, my pre-conceived notions were challenged. I fully expected the younger pastors, maybe those in more liberal areas of our state to get up in support of full inclusion. What I did not expect was the ex-marine, older man, who is a member of a rural church to get up in support of full inclusion. I did not expect the elderly retired pastor to get up in support. It bothered me to look around my table and see those whose minds were already made up not even turning around to feign listening to those who did not share their view.

I texted Brett, who was not able to be there, to ask him what his thoughts were. His response: "what would God say?" Loaded question. God said a lot of things. But, as a Christian, my highest authority is Christ (not Paul, not Moses, not Peter, not John, just Jesus). Jesus gave 2 new commandments at the Last Supper that Christians the world over strive to live by: 1"Love the Lord your God with all of your heart" and 2"Love one another as I have loved you." To me, this is what being a Christian, and a Lutheran is all about.

So, when it came time to vote, I did what I thought was right. It wasn't easy. But frankly, sometimes the "right" path is not the easy one.

And then the results slowly came in. Apparently, I need to have more faith in my own group. There was OVERWHELMING support for full inclusion of ALL people from all walks of life to have full access to Christ. It wasn't merely a 50/50 split.

My mind drifted back to the pastor at our table who told us that debate wasn't going to change anyone's mind. And maybe it didn't change anyone's mind at our table. But, over the course of ALL of the debates since this "issue" has come to the table (7-8 years), minds had been changed. Hearts had been changed.

Praise be to God.

No comments: