Friday, February 19, 2010

Milestones Abound


This has been a huge week here at Casa Monahan.

First, my beautiful bonus daughter, Shayann, turned 18. And with that, she packed up her things at 2AM on the morning of the big day and moved out of her mother's house, into the home of a 21 year old high school drop out guy...who still lives with his mom...and step dad...and 18 year old sister who has ALSO dropped out of high school. I HOPE we've managed to convince her that 4 months longer in school is worth sticking around for. After all, she has been going to school since the tender age of 5. What a time to drop out. But, you know, it'd be cool and all if these two sparkling examples of humans and Shayann got to go PAY for their GED's. I really shouldn't judge the kids...just their parents. I mean, what parent doesn't at least put up a FIGHT to keep their kid in school? You know, if you want to enable your own children and never allow them to suffer the consequences of bad decisions, that's fine by me. Just don't enable my child. I wonder if the mother who is allowing Shayann to live there knows that she has 4 parents who ARE NOT ON BOARD with this at all. She has a big fight waiting for her should I ever meet her, that's all I can say about that. Ridiculous.

So, she wants to be an adult and move out? Fantastic. Her mom asked for their house key back. Brett signed her car over to her and told her she had to go buy her own insurance. Missy doesn't have a job. I have no clue if she's been going to class...but alas, she is going to have to learn from her mistakes...I was just hoping that we would be able to convince her that this wasn't the mistake to make. You win some, you lose some. This was a big FAIL for us.

Another milestone is that as of Saturday the 20th, Miss Abbie will be a full 6 months old! I CAN NOT believe how quickly time has come and gone. She is almost sitting up on her own, cracks herself up all the time, and LOVES her big brother. Sometimes Bryce is the only one who can make her smile. Bryce is a huge helper, has even taken to feeding her oatmeal at dinner time when I'm trying to finish up dinner for all of us with teeth. He makes her giggle constantly. Abbie is eating well, loves all veggies so far (especially squash of all things) and is getting through fruits famously. Once she sprouts a tooth or two, we'll start her on pureed meats. Yargh.

No comments: