Saturday, April 3, 2010

Thoughts on Lent 2010

This Lenten season has been quite interesting here at Casa Monahan. My primary goal was for myself and the kids to make each and every midweek service, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and of course Easter service. We made two midweek services before adding Mr. Hayden to our fold (at which point it became impossible to continue on). And though I went to Maundy Thursday and Good Friday services, the rest of the family stayed home. We all have terrible colds and I want to make sure the kids are as rested as possible for Sunday, because WE ARE GOING TO CHURCH!!!
Abbie will be wearing an adorable green calico print dress. Bryce will be wearing his first dress shirt and (clip on) tie. He is very excited to dress like his daddy. I will attempt to remember to post pics on here for all to see.

Our church, Family of Grace Lutheran Church in Auburn, WA hosted a 24 hour prayer vigil yesterday. I signed in to come in from 11PM to midnight for quiet reflection and prayer. Boy, have I needed it lately. And though I was (and still am) battling this cold and have lost my voice, I still felt renewed as I left FOG. Between the hour of prayer and the Good Friday service itself, I was definitely emotionally drained. Our church has a life-sized cross that comes out only on Good Friday and Easter. It was propped up on the altar, and it was so easy to picture Jesus laying there, crown of thorns, nails, pierced in his side, bleeding and dying for my sins. For me! It is such a huge idea that I have a very hard time wrapping my head around it. Who would I be willing to do that for? Sacrifice myself for the sake of my kids or Brett? No question. For my brothers, sister, moms? More than likely. Friends? Probably, though there would be lots of thought involved. A stranger I've never met? No.

So, then I thought, "well, Jesus did this for me, and did it thousands of years ago, WELL before I or my ancestors were even twinkles in our parents' eyes...he didn't know me..." and then it hit me: But he DID know me. He was part man, but He was also part GOD. And God is my Father. And my Father knows me! And my Father created me and wanted me to have a way back to Him someday. Jesus is that way for me.

He is risen. He is risen indeed! Hallelujah!!!

No comments: